PORT MORESBY, Jun. 8, 2016 (AMP) — Papua New Guinea 2016 : Papua New Guinea reached the OFC Nations Cup final for the very first time in their history with a 2-1 win against the Solomon Islands (halftime: 1-1) on Wednesday night at the Sir John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby.
Foster opened the score in the 38th minute, before seeing the Solomon Islands catch up in the 41st minute thanks to Molea. 1-1 at half time. The Papua New Guineans eventually won the game in the second period with with a goal by Dabingyaba with just 8 minutes remaining in regulation time.
Fixtures and Results : Second Round
Papua New Guinea at the OFC Nations Cup
- 4 appearances (first in 1980)
- 5 participations in the qualifications (first in 1980)
Solomon Islands at the OFC Nations Cup
- 7 appearances (first in 1980)
- 7 participations in the qualifications (first in 1980)
- Statistics: Runners-up (2004) Third Place (2000) Fourth Place (2012)
- 8 June 2016
- Port Moresby
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the Oceania Nations Cup.