SYDNEY, Jan. 31, 2015 (AMP) — Australia 2015 : Australia claimed the AFC Asian Cup crown courtesy of a 2-1 extra time victory over South Korea (following a 1-1 draw in regulation) in the final on Saturday night at the Stadium Australia in Sydney.
The score was still 1-0 for Australia at the end of overtime, when an unexpected goal from Heung-min in the 91st minute allowed South Korea to equalize and just squeeze through to overtime. In the 105th minute, it was ultimately the Australian midfielder James Troisi who brought the Socceroos to victory by scoring the winning goal.
Fixtures and Results : Second Round
South Korea at the Asian Cup
- 2 titles (1956, 1960)
- 13 appearances (first in 1956)
- 16 participations in the qualifications (first in 1956)
- Statistics: Champions (1956, 1960) Runners-up (1972, 1980, 1988) Third Place (1964, 2000, 2007, 2011)
Australia at the Asian Cup
- 3 appearances (first in 2007)
- 3 participations in the qualifications (first in 2007)
- Statistics: Runners-up (2011)
- 31 January 2015
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the AFC Asian Cup.