MOSCOW, Jul. 3, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : England qualified to the quarter-finals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup after defeating Colombia 4-3 on penalties (after a 1-1 draw) on Tuesday night at the Spartak Stadium in Moscow.
The score was still 1-1 at the end of the regulation game time and overtime, after goals from Harry Kane ('57 on penalty) for England and Mina ('90) for Colombia. The Englishs finally emerged the victors in the penalty shootout session by winning 4-3.
Fixtures and Results : Second stage
Colombia at the World Cup
- 6 appearances (first in 1962)
- 16 participations in the qualifications (first in 1958)
England at the World Cup
- 1 title (1966)
- 15 appearances (first in 1950)
- 18 participations in the qualifications (first in 1950)
- Statistics: Champions (1966) Fourth Place (1990)
- 3 July 2018
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.