LA PAZ, Oct. 8, 2015 (AMP) — Russia 2018 (South American Qualifiers) : Uruguay defeated Bolivia by a score of 2-0 (halftime: 1-0), in a qualifying game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Qualifying Tournament) on Thursday afternoon at the Hernando Siles Stadium in La Paz.
Uruguay dominated the first half thanks to a goal scored by defender Martín Cáceres in the 10th minute. Leading 1-0 at the break, the Uruguayans further widened their lead in the second period with a goal by Godín in the 69th minute.
The result put the Uruguayans top of the group with 3 points. In their next game, Uruguay will meet group leaders Colombia at the Hernando Siles Stadium on October 13, while Bolivia will face Ecuador.
Fixtures and Results : Qualifying Tournament
Bolivia at the World Cup
- 3 appearances (first in 1930)
- 18 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
Uruguay at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1930, 1950)
- 12 appearances (first in 1930)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1930, 1950) Fourth Place (1954, 1970, 2010)