MONTEVIDEO, Oct. 13, 2015 (AMP) — Russia 2018 (South American Qualifiers) : Uruguay defeated Colombia by a score of 3-0 (halftime: 1-0), in a qualifying game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Qualifying Tournament) on Tuesday night at the Estadio Centenario in Montevideo.
Uruguay dominated the first half thanks to a goal scored by defender Diego Godín in the 34th minute. Leading 1-0 at the break, the Uruguayans further widened their lead in the second period by scoring twice (Rolán '51 and Hernández '87).
The result put the Uruguayans top of the group with 6 points. Colombia is 5th with 3 points. In their next game, Uruguay will meet second-placed Ecuador at the Estadio Centenario on November 12, while Colombia will face Chile.
Fixtures and Results : Qualifying Tournament
Uruguay at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1930, 1950)
- 12 appearances (first in 1930)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1930, 1950) Fourth Place (1954, 1970, 2010)
Colombia at the World Cup
- 5 appearances (first in 1962)
- 16 participations in the qualifications (first in 1958)