ASUNCIóN, Mar. 29, 2016 (AMP) — Russia 2018 (South American Qualifiers) : Paraguay tied 2-2 with Brazil (halftime: 1-0), in a qualifying game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Qualifying Tournament) on Tuesday night at the Defensores del Chaco Stadium in Asunción.
The Paraguayans started off well by taking the lead thanks to Lezcano in the 40th minute. However, even though they were leading 1-0 at half time, and despite Benítez goal ('49) in the second period, they could not prevent a comeback by Brazil with goals by Ricardo Oliveira ('79) and Dani Alves ('90).
The result put the Brazilians 6th in the group with 9 points. Paraguay is 7th with 9 points. In their next game, Brazil will meet second-placed Ecuador at the Defensores del Chaco Stadium on September 1, while Paraguay will face Chile.
Fixtures and Results : Qualifying Tournament
Paraguay at the World Cup
- 8 appearances (first in 1930)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
Brazil at the World Cup
- 5 titles (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)
- 20 appearances (first in 1930)
- 21 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002) Runners-up (1950, 1998) Third Place (1938, 1978) Fourth Place (1974, 2014)