SANTIAGO, Nov. 15, 2016 (AMP) — Russia 2018 (South American Qualifiers) : Chile defeated Uruguay by a score of 3-1 (halftime: 1-1), in a qualifying game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Qualifying Tournament) on Tuesday night at the Estadio Nacional de Chile in Santiago.
Alexis Sánchez scored dual goals
Uruguayan forward Edinson Cavani opened the score in the 16th minute, before seeing Chile catch up in the 45th minute thanks to Eduardo Vargas. 1-1 at half time. The Chilians eventually won the game in the second period with two more goals by Sánchez ('60, '76).
The result put the Uruguayans second in the group with 23 points. Chile is 5th with 18 points. In their next game, Uruguay will meet group leaders Brazil at the Estadio Nacional de Chile on March 23, while Chile will face Argentina.
Fixtures and Results : Qualifying Tournament
Chile at the World Cup
- 9 appearances (first in 1930)
- 18 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Third Place (1962)
Uruguay at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1930, 1950)
- 12 appearances (first in 1930)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1930, 1950) Fourth Place (1954, 1970, 2010)