BARRANQUILLA, Sep. 5, 2017 (AMP) — Russia 2018 (South American Qualifiers) : Colombia tied 1-1 with Brazil (halftime: 0-1), in a qualifying game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (Qualifying Tournament) on Tuesday afternoon at the Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez in Barranquilla.
The Brazilians started off well by taking the lead thanks to Brazilian midfielder Willian in the 45th minute. However, even though they were leading 1-0 at half time, they could not prevent a comeback by Colombia with a saving goal from Colombian forward Radamel Falcao in the 56th minute.
The result put the Brazilians top of the group with 37 points. Colombia is second with 26 points. In their next game, Brazil will meet Bolivia at the Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez on October 5, while Colombia will face Paraguay.
Fixtures and Results : Qualifying Tournament
Colombia at the World Cup
- 5 appearances (first in 1962)
- 16 participations in the qualifications (first in 1958)
Brazil at the World Cup
- 5 titles (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)
- 20 appearances (first in 1930)
- 21 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002) Runners-up (1950, 1998) Third Place (1938, 1978) Fourth Place (1974, 2014)