ROTTERDAM, Apr. 30, 1961 (AMP) — Chile 62 (European Qualifiers) : Hungary defeated the Netherlands by a score of 3-0 (halftime: 3-0), in a qualifying game for the 1962 FIFA World Cup on Sunday.
The result put the Hungarians top of Group 4 with 4 points. In their next game, Hungary will meet second-placed East Germany on September 10, while the Netherlands will face East Germany.
Fixtures and Results : Group 4
Netherlands at the World Cup
- 2 appearances (first in 1934)
- 4 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
Hungary at the World Cup
- 4 appearances (first in 1934)
- 5 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Runners-up (1938, 1954)
- 30 April 1961
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.