CORDOBA, Jun. 6, 1978 (AMP) — Argentina 78 : Germany defeated Mexico by a big score of 6-0 (halftime: 4-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Tuesday afternoon at the Estadio Olímpico Chateau Carreras in Cordoba.
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Heinz Flohe scored dual goals
Germany dominated the first half thanks to goals from Müller ('15), Müller ('30), Rummenigge ('38) and Flohe ('44). Leading 4-0 at the break, the Germans further widened their lead in the second period by scoring twice (Rummenigge '73 and Flohe '89).
The result put the Germans top of Group B with 3 points. Mexico is bottom with no points. In their last game, Germany will meet third-placed Tunisia at the Estadio Olímpico Chateau Carreras on June 10, while Mexico will face Poland.
Fixtures and Results : Group B
Germany at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1954, 1974)
- 9 appearances (first in 1934)
- 9 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Champions (1954, 1974) Runners-up (1966) Third Place (1934, 1970) Fourth Place (1958)
Mexico at the World Cup
- 8 appearances (first in 1930)
- 10 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- 6 June 1978
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.