World Cup 2018 : Germany beats Sweden 2-1
SOCHI, Jun. 23, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Germany defeated Sweden by a score of 2-1 (halftime: 0-1), in a World Cup group stage game on Saturday night at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi.
Sweden had started off well by taking the lead in the 32nd minute with a goal by forward Ola Toivonen. Trailing 1-0 at half time, the Germans nonetheless manage to reverse the direction of the game by scoring twice in the second period (Reus '48 and Kroos '90).
The result left both teams tied in the second place of Group F with 3 points. In their last game, Sweden will meet group leaders Mexico at the Fisht Olympic Stadium on June 27, while Germany will face South Korea.
Fixtures and Results : Group F
Germany at the World Cup
- 4 titles (1954, 1974, 1990, 2014)
- 19 appearances (first in 1934)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Champions (1954, 1974, 1990, 2014) Runners-up (1966, 1982, 1986, 2002) Third Place (1934, 1970, 2006, 2010) Fourth Place (1958)
Sweden at the World Cup
- 12 appearances (first in 1934)
- 20 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Runners-up (1958) Third Place (1950, 1994) Fourth Place (1938)
- 23 June 2018
World Cup History
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.