ROSTOV-ON-DON, Jun. 23, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Mexico defeated South Korea by a score of 2-1 (halftime: 1-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Saturday night at the Rostov Arena.
Mexico dominated the first half thanks to a goal scored by forward Carlos Vela in the 26th minute. Leading 1-0 at the break, the Mexicans further widened their lead in the second period with a goal by Hernández in the 66th minute.
The result put the Mexicans top of Group F with 6 points. South Korea is bottom with no points. In their last game, Mexico will meet second-placed Sweden at the Rostov Arena on June 27, while South Korea will face Germany.
Fixtures and Results : Group F
South Korea at the World Cup
- 10 appearances (first in 1954)
- 15 participations in the qualifications (first in 1954)
- Statistics: Fourth Place (2002)
Mexico at the World Cup
- 16 appearances (first in 1930)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- 23 June 2018
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.