TOKYO, Dec. 9, 2017 (AMP) — Japan 2017 : Japan defeated North Korea by a score of 1-0 (halftime: 0-0), in a East Asian Cup final round game (Final Tournament) on Saturday night at the Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo.
45 minutes of play and neither the Japaneses nor the Koreans have managed to pull ahead. 0-0 at half time. Everything was decided in the second period with a saving goal by Ideguchi in stoppage time.
The result put the Japanese top of the group with 3 points. In their next game, Japan will meet China at the Ajinomoto Stadium on December 12, while North Korea will face South Korea.
Fixtures and Results : Final Tournament
Japan at the East Asian Cup
- 1 title (2013)
- 7 appearances (first in 2003)
- 7 participations in the qualifications (first in 2003)
- Statistics: Champions (2013) Runners-up (2003, 2005, 2008) Third Place (2010) Fourth Place (2015)
North Korea at the East Asian Cup
- 4 appearances (first in 2005)
- 6 participations in the qualifications (first in 2005)
- Statistics: Third Place (2005, 2015) Fourth Place (2008)
- 9 December 2017
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the EAFF East Asian Cup.