TOKYO, Dec. 12, 2017 (AMP) — Japan 2017 : South Korea defeated North Korea by a score of 1-0 (halftime: 0-0), in a East Asian Cup final round game (Final Tournament) on Tuesday afternoon at the Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo.
Both teams held off against each other during the first 45 minutes of the game. 0-0 at half time. Everything was settled in the second period with a saving goal by Ri Yong-chol into his own net in the 64th minute.
The result put the Koreans top of the group with 4 points. North Korea is bottom with no points. In their last game, South Korea will meet second-placed Japan at the Ajinomoto Stadium on December 16, while North Korea will face China.
Fixtures and Results : Final Tournament
North Korea at the East Asian Cup
- 4 appearances (first in 2005)
- 6 participations in the qualifications (first in 2005)
- Statistics: Third Place (2005, 2015) Fourth Place (2008)
South Korea at the East Asian Cup
- 3 titles (2003, 2008, 2015)
- 7 appearances (first in 2003)
- 7 participations in the qualifications (first in 2003)
- Statistics: Champions (2003, 2008, 2015) Runners-up (2010) Third Place (2013) Fourth Place (2005)
- 12 December 2017
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the EAFF East Asian Cup.