GUADALAJARA, Jun. 7, 1970 (AMP) — Mexico 70 : Brazil defeated England by a score of 1-0 (halftime: 0-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Sunday at the Jalisco Stadium in Guadalajara.
Both teams held off against each other during the first 45 minutes of the game. 0-0 at half time. Everything was decided in the second period with a saving goal by Brazilian midfielder Jairzinho in the 59th minute.
The result put the Brazilians top of Group 3 with 4 points. England is third with 2 points. In their last game, Brazil will meet second-placed Romania at the Jalisco Stadium on June 10, while England will face Czechoslovakia.
Fixtures and Results : Group 3
England at the World Cup
- 1 title (1966)
- 6 appearances (first in 1950)
- 6 participations in the qualifications (first in 1950)
- Statistics: Champions (1966)
Brazil at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1958, 1962)
- 9 appearances (first in 1930)
- 9 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1958, 1962) Runners-up (1950) Third Place (1938)
- 7 June 1970
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.