ROSARIO, Jun. 14, 1978 (AMP) — Argentina 78 : Argentina defeated Poland by a score of 2-0 (halftime: 1-0), in a World Cup second round game on Wednesday night at the Estadio Gigante de Arroyito in Rosario.
Mario Kempes scored dual goals
Argentina dominated the first half thanks to a goal scored by forward Mario Kempes in the 16th minute. Leading 1-0 at the break, the Argentines further widened their lead in the second period with another goal by Kempes in the 72nd minute.
The result put the Argentine second in Group B with 2 points. In their next game, Argentina will meet group leaders Brazil at the Estadio Gigante de Arroyito on June 18, while Poland will face Peru.
Fixtures and Results : Final Round - Group B
Argentina at the World Cup
- 7 appearances (first in 1930)
- 8 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Runners-up (1930)
Poland at the World Cup
- 3 appearances (first in 1938)
- 8 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Third Place (1974)
- 14 June 1978
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.