PORTO ALEGRE, Jun. 18, 2014 (AMP) — Brazil 2014 : The Netherlands defeated Australia by a score of 3-2 (halftime: 1-1), in a World Cup group stage game on Wednesday afternoon at the Beira-Rio Stadium in Porto Alegre.
Dutch forward Arjen Robben opened the score in the 20th minute, before seeing Australia catch up in the 21st minute thanks to Tim Cahill. 1-1 at half time. The Dutchs eventually won the game in the second period with two more goals by Robin van Persie ('58) and Depay ('68).
The result put the Dutch top of Group B with 6 points. Australia is third with no points. In their last game, the Netherlands will meet second-placed Chile at the Beira-Rio Stadium on June 23, while Australia will face Spain.
Fixtures and Results : Group B
Australia at the World Cup
- 4 appearances (first in 1974)
- 13 participations in the qualifications (first in 1966)
Netherlands at the World Cup
- 10 appearances (first in 1934)
- 17 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Runners-up (1974, 1978, 2010) Fourth Place (1998)
- 18 June 2014
- Porto Alegre
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.