SOCHI, Jun. 15, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Portugal tied 3-3 with Spain (halftime: 2-1), in a World Cup group stage game on Friday night at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi.
The Portugueses started off well by taking the lead thanks to goals by Ronaldo ('4 on penalty, '44) while the Spaniards only scored once Costa ('24). However, even though they were leading 2-1 at half time, and despite Ronaldo goal ('88) in the second period, they could not prevent a comeback by Spain with goals by Diego Costa ('55) and Nacho ('58).
The result left both teams tied in the second place of Group B with one point. In their next game, Spain will meet group leaders Iran at the Fisht Olympic Stadium on June 20, while Portugal will face Morocco.
Fixtures and Results : Group B
Portugal at the World Cup
- 7 appearances (first in 1966)
- 20 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Third Place (1966) Fourth Place (2006)
Spain at the World Cup
- 1 title (2010)
- 15 appearances (first in 1934)
- 19 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- Statistics: Champions (2010) Fourth Place (1950)
- 15 June 2018
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.