KALININGRAD, Jun. 16, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Croatia defeated Nigeria by a score of 2-0 (halftime: 1-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Saturday night at the Kaliningrad Stadium.
Croatia dominated the first half as a result of the unfortunate own goal scored by Etebo in the 32nd minute. Leading 1-0 at the break, the Croatians further widened their lead in the second period with a goal by Modrić on penalty in the 71st minute.
The result put the Croatians top of Group D with 3 points. In their next game, Croatia will meet second-placed Argentina at the Kaliningrad Stadium on June 21, while Nigeria will face Iceland.
Fixtures and Results : Group D
Croatia at the World Cup
- 5 appearances (first in 1998)
- 6 participations in the qualifications (first in 1998)
- Statistics: Third Place (1998)
Nigeria at the World Cup
- 6 appearances (first in 1994)
- 14 participations in the qualifications (first in 1962)
- 16 June 2018
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.