NIZHNY NOVGOROD, Jun. 21, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Croatia defeated Argentina by a score of 3-0 (halftime: 0-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Thursday night at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium.
45 minutes of play and neither the Croatians nor the Argentines have managed to pull ahead. 0-0 at half time. Everything was settled in the second period with goals by Rebić ('53), Modrić ('80) and Rakitić ('90).
The result put the Croatians top of Group D with 6 points. Argentina is third with one point. In their last game, Croatia will meet second-placed Iceland at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium on June 26, while Argentina will face Nigeria.
Fixtures and Results : Group D
Argentina at the World Cup
- 2 titles (1978, 1986)
- 17 appearances (first in 1930)
- 18 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1978, 1986) Runners-up (1930, 1990, 2014)
Croatia at the World Cup
- 5 appearances (first in 1998)
- 6 participations in the qualifications (first in 1998)
- Statistics: Third Place (1998)
- 21 June 2018
- Nizhny Novgorod
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.