ROSTOV-ON-DON, Jun. 17, 2018 (AMP) — Russia 2018 : Brazil tied 1-1 with Switzerland (halftime: 1-0), in a World Cup group stage game on Sunday night at the Rostov Arena.
The Brazilians started off well by taking the lead thanks to Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho in the 20th minute. However, even though they were leading 1-0 at half time, they could not prevent a comeback by Switzerland with a saving goal from Swiss midfielder Steven Zuber in the 50th minute.
The result left both teams tied in the second place of Group E with one point. In their next game, Switzerland will meet group leaders Serbia at the Rostov Arena on June 22, while Brazil will face Costa Rica.
Fixtures and Results : Group E
Brazil at the World Cup
- 5 titles (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)
- 21 appearances (first in 1930)
- 21 participations in the qualifications (first in 1930)
- Statistics: Champions (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002) Runners-up (1950, 1998) Third Place (1938, 1978) Fourth Place (1974, 2014)
Switzerland at the World Cup
- 11 appearances (first in 1934)
- 20 participations in the qualifications (first in 1934)
- 17 June 2018
Read on to know more on the history and origin of the FIFA World Cup.